API Overview - Incanter 1.5.4 (stable)
- "Incanter is a Clojure-based, R-like statistical computing and graphics environment for the JVM."
In Defense Of Inclusionism - gwern
- "Participation matters because it drives quality. People come and go naturally, and that means we need to continually bring in and successfully orient new people. If we don’t, the community will shrink over time and quality will suffer. That’s why participation is our top priority right now."
- "Regaining our sense of openness will be hard work: it flies in the face of some of our strongest and least healthy instincts as human beings. People find it difficult to assume good faith and to devolve power. We naturally put up walls and our brains fall into us-versus-them patterns. That’s normal. But we need to resist it."
Burmese Days - George Orwell
- "How's the British Empire? Sick of the palsy as usual?"
Sleeping Through a Revolution - Letter to the millennials 2 - Jonathan Taplin
- "If the best and the brightest of you are drawn to building addictive apps rather than making great journalism, important films, or literature that survives the test of time, will we as a society be ultimately impoverished?"
- "I cannot imagine that your parents spent $40,000 a year at this university to prepare you to be part of the new 'sharing economy.'"
runit - a UNIX init scheme with service supervision
- "runit is a cross-platform Unix init scheme with service supervision, a replacement for sysvinit, and other init schemes."
Data Focused - Dmitri Sotnikov
- "When a function is called its output can be used in a new context without any additional ceremony."
The adblocking revolution is months away (with iOS 9) – with trouble for advertisers, publishers and Google - Charles Arthur
- "Why should web advertisers be immune from evolutionary or revolutionary change in user habits?"
Warren Buffett’s Family Secretly Funded a Birth Control Revolution - Karen Weise
- "The teen birthrate dropped 40 percent from 2009 to 2013, and the teen abortion rate was down by more than a third."
- "This spring, when the legislature debated taking over the funding after the Buffett donation ran out, conservative legislators voted against providing support, saying the efforts amounted to mini abortions."
A Map of Akka - Heiko Seeberger
- "Failure is compartmentalized, which means that only a part of the system is affected instead of the whole one."
The Neophyte's Guide to Scala Part 12: Type Classes - Daniel Westheide
- "Scala type classes allow you to develop your Scala code in such a way that it’s open for retroactive extension while retaining as much concrete type information as possible."
Growing a Language - Guy Steele
- "We should now think of a language design as a pattern for language designs."
- "A language design can no longer be a thing. It must be a pattern."