Joseph Rodriguez on Desperation, Being an 'Outsider' and Stories inside the Head (2011)
- "My work is very subjective, I don’t believe in that objective stuff."
Be the friction - Our Response to the New Lords of the Ring - Shoshana Zuboff
- "The indifference of the Lords of Silicon Valley is not a harbinger of the end times, but rather a wake up call to remind us that we must undertake the work of every age."
- "No longer exalted end users, we were demoted to data entry clerks, delivering content for them to hawk."
- "And most important to us now, the third law: In the absence of countervailing restrictions and sanctions, every digital application that can be used for surveillance and control will be used for surveillance and control, irrespective of its originating intention."
- "The challenge for the overseers had shifted from the architecture of buildings or the tedious labor of administrative records to that of information systems designed to produce automated, continuous, frictionless, perfect accounts available for zoom-in detail and zoom-out patterns any time, all the time, everywhere."
- "Our responses must summon political solutions that insist on democratic oversight of surveillance procedures, commercial solutions in which we reject companies that externalize responsibility for the consequences of their activities, and individuals who are willing to make a stand on what is right and what is wrong."
- "[The companies] had debased their most essential value — the sanctity of the user experience, the notion that they were, at bottom, on our side."
Edward Snowden Explains How To Reclaim Your Privacy - Micah Lee
- "Snowden: I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of other Twitter accounts."
Academic assholes and the circle of niceness - Inger Mewburn
- "Put simply, the nice clever people leave."
- "If performing like an asshole in a public forum creates the perverse impression that you are more clever than others who do not, there is a clear incentive to behave this way."
- "As time goes on the culture progressively becomes more poisonous and gets transmitted to the students."
No One Minding the Store - Michael Tsai
- "In short, the system is broken on multiple levels, and there is no evidence to suggest that things will get better."
We're Doing It All Wrong - Paul Phillips
- "To have to defend against all outcomes at all times is to abandon any hope of progress."
The Physics of Why Airplane Wings Oscillate in Turbulence - Rhett Allain
- "Really all materials act like a spring. When you push on them, they bend—even if it’s just a little bit."