- "We should not let that terrible night in Paris diminish our sense of humanity and responsibility."
- "The problem is: we don't understand what the problem is."
- "As Murrow said in justifying his opposition to the Wisconsin Senator and his allies: 'there is no way for a citizen of a republic to abdicate his [sic] responsibilities.'"
- "I used to get frustrated about my peers’ lack of courage, but lately I feel only empathy. I don’t like seeing talented storytellers ruled by fear."
"Pretty much everything is a reference… if you scratch it."
"What would it actually take to make a 100-year language?"
"We'd just as soon have slow, stable - but sustainable - growth."
- "In meetings with smugglers in several towns along the border, red mercury inhabited the fertile mental terrain where fear and distrust of authority meet superstitious folklore."
- "The class of functions which can be formed in this way is quite limited and not very interesting."
- "Stopping refugees at the border will have little to no impact on the movement of terrorists, who generally either enter illegally or are born here."