CINDY SHERMAN: “Untitled Film Stills” (1977-1980) - ASX
RECRUITMENT 2016 - Victoria Valentine
- Credit: https://vimeo.com/user27228255
Discipline: Stomp Out Cynicism - Chad Fowler
- "Cynicism is born of laziness and fear: It's easy to complain about something."
Watch a VC use my name to sell a con. - Jamie Zawinski
- "Follow the fucking money. When a VC tells you what's good for you, check your wallet, then count your fingers."
Dating Without Kundera - Maciej Cegłowski
- "Milan Kundera is the Dave Matthews of Slavic letters, a talented hack, certainly a hack who's paid his dues, but a hack nonetheless."
Clojure: State Management - Jay Fields
- "I think state shapes Clojure more than any other influence; it's the core of the language."
- "But the most surprising thing is that most things just worked. And in many cases, worked better."
If you keep saying Saudi Arabia is like ISIS, you might get sued - Adam Taylor
- "According to a report in pro-government newspaper Al Riyadh, the Saudi justice ministry is planning to sue a Twitter user who suggested that a death sentence recently handed out to a Palestinian artist for apostasy was 'ISIS-like.'"
The Lisp Curse - Rudolf Winestock
"The moral of this story is that secondary and tertiary effects matter. Technology not only affects what we can do with respect to technological issues, it also affects our social behavior. This social behavior can loop back and affect the original technological issues under consideration."
"Since making Scheme object-oriented is so easy, many Scheme hackers have done so. More to the point, many individual Scheme hackers have done so."
"Programs written by individual hackers tend to follow the scratch-an-itch model. These programs will solve the problem that the hacker, himself, is having without necessarily handling related parts of the problem which would make the program more useful to others."
- "Caleb: Did you program her to flirt with me? Nathan: If I did, would that be cheating?"
A Decade-Old Gag Order, Lifted - Jameel Jaffer
"According to the Justice Department's inspector general, the FBI issued a staggering 143,074 NSLs between 2003 and 2005. And every NSL was accompanied by a categorical and permanent gag order."
"This kind of secrecy prevents the public from learning how the government's surveillance authorities are used, distorts public debate, shields policymakers from accountability for their decisions, and insulates surveillance powers from judicial review."
Fail at Scale & Controlling Queue Delay - Adrian Colyer
- "Good queues convert bursty arrivals into smooth, steady departures (and reduce in length when the arrival rate drops back down below the departure rate). Bad queues (standing queues) serve no useful purpose and simply create excess delay."