Sex & Startups - Jennifer Brandel and Mara Zepeda
- "Startups, like the male anatomy, are designed for liquidity events."
- "But the model for startup venture financing, and the system of rewards driving this supposed innovation, isn't creative — it's masturbatory."
- "In private, we squirm over how raising money requires faking it. But we don't get off on that, and that means we don't get off the ground."
- "And we return to 'mundane' ideals born of this world, with an emphasis on repairing, cultivating, and connecting rather than 'disrupting,' 'crushing,' 'owning,' or 'killing' it."
Too many people have peed in the pool - Stephen Fry
- "It's quite simple really: the room had started to smell. Really quite bad."
- "To leave that metaphor, let us grieve at what twitter has become. A stalking ground for the sanctimoniously self-righteous who love to second-guess, to leap to conclusions and be offended – worse, to be offended on behalf of others they do not even know."
Erlang Garbage Collection Details and Why It Matters - Hamidreza Soleimani
- "No GC occurs in a short-lived process which doesn't use heap more that
min_heap_size and then terminates. This way the whole memory used by process is collected."
How Zenefits Crashed Back Down To Earth - William Alden
- "Soon after [Conrad's firing], the California insurance commissioner announced that he was investigating whether Zenefits complied with laws and regulations in the state, its biggest market."
- "As of the end of September, the mutual fund giant Fidelity, which bought Zenefits shares in May, marked down the value of its stake by 48%."
- "But a running joke among the Zenefits sales staff was that anyone who scored significantly above 60% was a nerd who had studied too hard, former employees said."